Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Sir Kensington's Ketchup - Spicy

I basically only use ketchup on fries, hamburger, and hot dog (not really staples in my at-home diet), so I don't have much occasion to try or even crave new ketchups. But I am fully open to this, even though the label and name is a little hipstery which makes me rebel a bit. Like they're going for a Grey Poupon analogue.

That said, this is really really different from your standard Heinz. the color is really dark red (I had to google to make sure this was normal) and the texture is thicker. It's also in a traditional glass bottle, which isn't as convenient as the squeezey kind, but I guess is classier. The ingredients are organic and generally healthier than Heinz, but like, it's ketchup, so who cares (it's not mayo). But the taste was so different! A little like tomato paste that someone put red pepper flakes and vinegar into. Which is, apparently, not what I want. I only tried it with fries, but it was too strong of a flavor, not sweet enough, and too tomato-pastey (bitter?). Maybe it would be better on a burger or something with cheese. It's kind of like a BBQ sauce but not quite sweet enough for that. It did leave what turned out to be a pleasant spicy aftertaste, though.

However, this is the spicy version. I wonder if the classic version is more similar to regular ketchup (but slightly elevated, lol) and therefore I'd like it better than this. I watched a video of a taste test which seemed to indicate this was the case. Also, the owners seem like likeable go-getters, so I'd be open to trying the classic one. This one is a no thanks for me.

Overall
Cost: 6/10
Taste: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment