Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Lee Kum Kee Plum Sauce

I tagged this as Chinese, but to be totally honest, I'm not totally sure what kind of cuisine this sauce is associated with. Unlike their tasty beef teriyaki sauce, this didn't taste like any dish I'd had in my youth. So, I wasn't sure what to expect with this or even really what to do with it, since I don't eat egg rolls and I never used the packets of duck sauce (which I imagine is similar?) I got as a kid with chinese food.
I decided to just put it on some grilled chicken (is grilled even the word? pan-cooked chicken), over rice. So, one breast of chicken, a little less than half the jar of sauce, one econo portion of rice. When cooked, it was quite sweet, a little vinegary, and not especially spicy. I didn't love it or hate it. I was very glad that I cooked it though - I think spending 3-4 minutes cooking the sauce onto the chicken makes the flavor much better, sweeter, more chinese-y, something. Just plain out of the jar the flavor was pretty strong, in a not great way. I might try repeating this but adding a bit of soy sauce to it? I'm not sure, it's already salty, but I didn't LOVE what I did with this so i don't know if I want to just repeat it, though I might. I also considered adding this to veg but I don't think that'd be good, but with chicken or I guess duck this seems like a fair accompaniment.

Overall
Cost: 5/10
Taste: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment