Sunday, February 25, 2018

Callaloo Trinidadian Kitchen

This newish resto is getting a ton of recent buzz in the central PA media! They're a fusion of some Indian-y and some Island-y flavors, which is apparently what Trinidadian food is (who knew). Sounds tasty, but I was worried it'd be super nut-y, especially since they have a hot drink called 'peanut punch' (D:). But I sent them a message and they actually said that none of their menu at the time had any nuts in it (which looked true). I also asked when I got there and the server checked for me. The place is very small, but we got there right at opening time and were able to take up the bar seats (there are exactly 6)! Everyone was really nice. We got the app of cassava fries, which were OK (good crisp outside, nice and salty) but a little mealy, perhaps the nature of cassava. Came with a fun cilantro sauce (bright green)! For my meal I got the jerk pork ribs, since all the curries had chickpeas. It was a ton of meat, like 9 ribs, very tender and a little spicy, and a 'corn pie', which was like mashed corn with whole corn (awesome) and some pickled veg (fine). Overall it was really tasty and felt like good quality food, but the fact that they had peanut punch did make me a little nervous, to be honest. I would go back but it wouldn't be my first choice just because of anxiety, even though I was totally fine and the food was good!

Overall
Cost: 4/10
Taste: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment