Wednesday, December 6, 2017

MOD pizza

I was so happy that a MOD finally opened near me!!! It's only natural to give pizza the chipotle/subway/saladworks treatment, and I'm so into it. Mine also has shakes, salads, and random quinoa bowls (and charcuterie plates), none of which contain nuts (some are may-contains though). What a beautiful thing. The prices are also fixed no matter so many toppings you add, like Qdoba, which is good for a girl like me who loves toppings but wants to get the cheapest option always. Anyway, it isn't Jimmy-Johns fast, but for a pizza it's pretty fast (about 5 minutes). The price is about 8 bucks, which is OK. They have a ton of veg options, though, plus seasonal things, plus garlic!! Plus shakes!! God is good.

I thought even though I love the custom life I should try some of the premades too, so here goes:

Dillon James: This has garlic, asiago, and tomatoes. I love garlic but I think I don't love asiago, and something in this bad boy tasted a little soapy?? Hopefully the asiago and not the tomatoes or crust, but further eating will reveal the truth. Anyway, not into it, boring and too much asiag. Garlic is amazing though. And the basil was just "there" -- maybe that's the soaper? Hmm. 5/10

Kane (winter seasonal): A spicy pizza! Mostly tasted like roni, hot pepper, and maybe a bit of onion. Overall I really enjoyed it, but I made sure to get it without gorgonzola, which I dislike. Pretty solid and not at all soapy! 7/10

Custom: I got a standard red/mozz base with garlic puree too (amazing) and the seasonal cauliflower (good) and kale (spinach is better) along with classic standbys mushroom (good, needs more!) and brocco (fine). A solid pizza, super good. 8/10

Jasper: I got extra garlic on this, yom. Otherwise it just has mushrooms (classic) and sausage (yum). Tastes like the pizza you think of when you think of pizza! Delicious. Maybe a little stomachachey though. 8/10

Peppermint milkshake: Is there anything better in this world? If you have a nut allergy you know how nice it is to have a dessert. This is white mint cream vanilla-y shake goodness with little candy-cane chips in it. It's refreshing and decadent! Also like 800 cals but shhh. 9/10

Failure to get Lucy Sunshine: Went today and it was super crowded and they assumed everyone wanted a custom and also they didn't give out the pizzas in order once they came out of the oven and my boyf who ordered after me got his like 20 minutes before me and it was bad. But the pizza (brocco, garlic, mushroom, artichoke) still tasted good once it was re-heated.


Isaac (summer seasonal): I took a picture! It looks so pretty, right? Unfortunately, this was super dry and dumb and disappointing. This is partially my fault, because I got it with no balsamic since that is a may-contain peanut topping for some reason. They did as I requested, but they also didn't put on the garlic, and the pizza is already red sauce and mozz-less, so there was like, literally nothing there. Just dough, tomato, basil, onion, little ricottas. All those ingredients were good (basil too, so I think I just hate asiago) but it was just too dry. Also the ricotta at Marg's is so so so so superior to this one, which is fine but just kind of there (Marg's is like, sweet!). So, sorry Mod, try again later! 4/10




Kevin (fall seasonal): I took another picture! Not so pretty, but that's because of a Modemployee error, and not the pizza itself -- they put gorgonzola on it!!! Eughh!!! That's not part of the pizza description and it's not part of my diet, either, because gorgonzola is gross as heck. I tried my best to eat this pizza anyway but I really couldn't get it down. Luckily I think I got a good enough idea about the rest of the pizza anyway -- it's super weird. There's no red sauce, instead the sauce is pumpkin sauce, which is basically exactly like pumpkin pie filling. So it's good but it doesn't go with a savory pizza, at least not in my book. The canadian bacon smelled like bacon but tasted like ham - it was OK but again didn't go with pumpkin. Arugula could not be tasted over the gorgo, and the Mama Lil's peppers were good as ever but didn't seem to go with the pumpkin either. So, sorry Kevin Bacon, I don't think I'll try this again, even if it doesn't have gross gorgo on it. 3/10 

Ruthie (winter seasonal): Drat, I didn't take a picture! I might possibly get this again sometime though, it was good. Basically a regular pizza with roni and jalepenos. There's also arugula and parmesan, but they didn't stand out at all, and Mike's Hot Honey, which I didn't really taste much either (but which didn't kill me!). I thought it was tasty like a good pizza, but it also gave me a wee stomachache and is like 900 cals. So don't get this if you're on the go (or on a diet)! 7/10

Fred (spring? seasonal): I liked this, even though it wasn't quite what I expected! It was canadian bacon (aka ham, was fine but didn't really even taste it much), big red onions (also fine I guess), roasted pineapple (really good, but it was super sweet and not roasted at all??) and BBQ swirl on top, with mozz and red sauce. I never had most of these ingredients before, so that was fun, and it was all plenty good. But the main flavor note was definitely BBQ sauce, and it was sweet and smokey and good and all, but if you're looking for PIZZA flavor and not BBQ CHICKEN FLATBREAD (rip kildys) flavor, then you might want to look elsewhere! 7/10

Diego (summer seasonal): It's a pandemic, y'all! But there's still a new variety of Mod Pizza to try, and I finally got my grubby, weary hands on it. There were no substitutions needed on this for allergy reasons (or even grossness reasons, although I was nervous about how much I would dislike feta)! This is a standard sauce + cheese, with additions of roasted corn, onions, feta, chorizo, and cilantro. The feta honestly wasn't bad, and as soon as I bit into this, I realised that it's basically mexican street corn in a pizza! I really liked it at first because I like street corn, and feta+mozz isn't super different from cotija cheese or whatever it is. There's a little bit diminishing returns on this, especially re-heated, and it's 1000 calories which is a lot more than most of the Mod pizzas. So I don't think I'd get this on the reg, but it was fun to try, unique, and better than I expected. 7/10 
 
Bella (winter seasonal): Welp, the MOD by my house shut down. Thanks a lot, Covid! But I still got to try this new seasonal offering in PA, and it was super exciting because instead of red sauce, it has "mushroom pesto", but there's no nuts in this pesto! Oh yeah! The toppings are mushrooms, spinach, snausage, and maybe some herbs or something. It was tasty, a very good pizza. 8/10

Dominic: Not spring yet, so without seasonal pies we return to the classic lineup. This one is a white pizza (no red sauce) with sausage and onion. I got it with broccoli added (they finally have broccoli again!) so maybe I didn't get the pure Dominic flavor, but I thought it was pretty good. No weird soapyness vibes from the basil or anything. It was pretty heartburny though, so watch out! I don't know if i really love the sausage, but it's only 680 cals so not bad at all. I'd try it again, even without lovely brocco. 7/10

Overall
Cost: 6/10
Taste: 8/10
Ethos: 10/10

Q says: The girl* was bad.

*The girl doesn't mean me, it means the employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment