Thursday, August 6, 2020

Chupa Chups Mini Lollipops

I remember having the whistle versions of these as a kid! Chupa Chups seem like such a cool, trendy, mysterious candy to me, I guess because of the Spanish origin and DalĂ­ connection. Also, just like Mentos (owned by the same Dutch multinational corp) they are made in so many countries and forms that it's really hard to get reliable allergy info for them. I guess the same is true of like, Kit Kat and Mars bars, I just have more knowledge about those brands. Anyway, I am fairly sure that the American minis are nut free, or at least that's what Amazon claims. But is the one I have American? I don't know!! But it's a dang lollipop, so I ate it. These are pretty normal lollies; they have a hollow stick which I like but a difficult to remove without tearing it so you definitely can't read it wrapper, which I don't like. I prefer Dum Dums because they are transparent about their origins, but if I didn't have allergies these would be a fine pick.

Strawberry: Never a favorite flavor for me, but this tastes basically identical to the YumEarth lolly of the same flavor. Strong strawberry vibe, maybe a little too sweet for my liking, cute pink color. 6/10
 
Cherry: Usually a favorite flavor for me, but this version was a little weird. Maybe it picked up some flavors from a nearby soap or something. Tasted almost medicinal, but not enough to bother me, but not as good as other cherry lollies either. 6/10

Strawberries and Cream: Unique flavor, looks like it's literally half + half the strawberry lolly swirled with a nebulous "cream" half. I think I like it. The cream part is kind of like the cream soda dum dum, almost a little sourness or saltiness to it, or some sort of "bite" that pairs well with the strawberry. Like the tang of the basic frozen yogurt flavor at a froyo place. Pretty fun. 7/10

Overall
Cost: 7/10
Taste: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment