Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Taverna

So, I freakin' love this place. If anyone asks for my favorite restaurant on Main Street in Newark, this is it. The only reason I don't go there often is that it's fairly nice, and so I'd feel weird going alone. To be honest, it's also pretty pricy (but I feel it is worth it). Anyway, I went last night after my dissertation defense (no big deal), and ordered the RICOTTA CAVATELLI which is some little dense noodle tubes with a cream sauce, some pulled pork, some little ricotta chunks, and onions. Kind of a weird mix but it was tasty as always (8/10) and also filling (gave me two meals!). To be fair, I also got the antipasto appetizer, which came with broccoli rabe, prosciutto, and mozzarella, plus some tiny bread toasts. It was tasty as always (8/10) but I mean,  it's meat and cheese. And then they always bring you bread and some tomato oil to dip, which is great as well. What a great place. I wish I had room/social bravery to get dessert!!

calamarata: these are thick noodle tubes with a cream tomato sauce, spinach, and chicken. it's OK (duh) but I don't actually love the sauce. I will try to remember to get something else next time, because it's a little bland. the plus side is that the portion is very large! 6/10

margarita pizza: I split this with my boyf, and he didn't like this! When I saw this, I didn't think I would either - it's mostly sauce, and not much cheese and hardly any basil. However, the thin crust is really good, and the sauce is remarkably unsweet - almost like tomato soup, but if you can push that down, the crust/sauce/cheese is all really nice. Not too exciting but solid good quality cheesey bread. The plating could use some work though, I admit. 7/10

coffee: standard coffee. They bring separate cream and sugar. It's nice. 6/10

Free Range Chicken "Saltimbocca": This is baller -- I think I've had veal saltimbocca before, but chicken is less controversial and they all taste like meat to me! It's a filling and delicious garliccy wet meat with pig and cheese on top. You gotta love it. I also was able to take some home, so it's definitely enough food but it doesn't look like a huge portion like some of the pastas do. I love Taverna! 8/10

mushroom pizza: I split this with a first date, and I don't know if they liked it! (me OR the pizza). I thought it was just OK. Definitely edible, but mostly oily cheese, which is fair enough but not really the pizza vibe I covet. Shoulda just pounded some meats, lol. 6/10

chicken pizza: This certainly looked pretty, but it turns out I still don't love goat cheese, which was very noticable. all the other components were good and it was still solid though. the leftovers at home drunk were even better! :D 7/10


Overall
Cost: 4/10
Taste: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment