Sunday, September 8, 2013

Home Grown Café

This place perturbs me because it's one of those "gluten-free, vegan + vegetarian friendly" places that have no allergy menu or policy or awareness above the norm. However, it's very popular with my social group, and it is a "chill" bar. They have good brunch food; in fact, their food is good overall, it's just scary because there are definitely lots of peanuts + nuts on the menu. Still, I have mentioned my allergy every time and so far so good.

Burrito Verde (with pork): pricy but good, a tasty pork burrito. Chips were fine (but would have been better with some dip or something, c'mon now).

Philly Steak sandwich: This is garlicy and cheesey and the bun is toasted and it comes with tasty greens, so it was pretty great. 

Side of Mac and Cheese: Not as good as Stone Balloon's, but passable. Comes with penne which is weird. Nothing else in there, I think, just noodles and cheese. It's OK. 5/10

Brunch BLT: This wasn't as good as I remembered - the bread was just white sandwich bread and it looked really flat and sad. I also got home fries instead of greens which was a mistake. They were totally fine, not much flavor but good, and the sandwich was good although not super decadent - could use more tomato and bacon. The egg was fresh tasting. 6/10

Coffee: A tiny cup, but they forgot to charge for it, so I had a good time! 6/10

Grilled Chicken Sandwich: This is solid, it's a BBQ grilled chicken, but the sauce is pretty subtle and it didn't make me feel gross, even with cheese and bacon. I like the greens that it comes with. Our server (Randy) was palling around with my mom, but he did a good job & was good about allergies, which made this taste better. Would get again if hungry. (Baked spinach spread is if not!) 7/10

Strawberry Lemonade: This was a 9$ drink, heh heh, but my parents were paying. Tito's vodka, strawberry puree, lemonade. It was delish! 8/10

Overall
Cost: 5/10
Taste: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment