Friday, November 26, 2021

Trio Fudge

One night a few weeks ago, I was sadly googling "nut free desserts", and a new to me result popped up -- Trio Fudge! I have no strong fudge feelings, as it's not a dessert I've had very often, and so I don't yearn for it the way I do truffles or candy bars or cookies (aka things I had as a kid). However, it's hard to pass up a cute nut-free dessert in a bunch of flavors, so I ordered myself a sizeable sampler. For the most part, I enjoy all the flavors, although they are really dense and sweet, so it's a very different eating experience than other candies for me -- you gotta pace yourself!

Brownie Batter: This flavor was really good; one of my favorites. It tastes like a chocolate marshmallow or something. I like the choco chips on top. 8/10

Coffee: This did have a strong coffee flavor! It helps to lessen the sweetness, but it wasn't really my favorite variety. It's kind of one-note, and the coffee grounds are just In There, so the texture is gritty. 6/10

Cookie Dough: Surprisingly, although I love cookie dough, this was not my favorite. It basically tastes like vanilla fudge, with a slight articificiality to it. Not especially "cookie dough"-y to me. 6/10

Pumpkin Pie: A strong pumpkin flavor! And it was orange! This is very rich, dense, sweet, and creamy. Not very much graham cracker bottom, and a little vanilla-y tasting. Good though. 7/10

Root Beer: Well, it sure tastes like root beer (mixed with white chocolate). I'd prefer just plain white chocolate. Not that this is BAD, but it's a little weird. Perfect for those occasions when you need a root beer flavored sweet, though? 6/10 

Candy Corn: These were cute little seasonal candy-corn shaped fudge pieces. They were good, and literally tasted like soft white choco, but they had a weird chemical/plastic taste on top of them -- I'm guessing as a result of the bag they came in, since the other flavors weren't like this? Alas. 6/10

Red Velvet: This had a "thicker" texture compared to the others, which I like (due to the cake mix in it, I think). It was also a bit less sweet, despite the chocolate sprinkles on top (which I also like). However, there's kind of a weird undernote of Bubble Gum flavor here, which I don't understand and don't really like. Alas. 6/10

Chocolate: The baseline! It's a pleasant baseline, although I do prefer the brownie batter one to this, I think. It tastes like the chocolate fudge my aunt made once, which was solid. No weird flavor notes in this one, just vaguely marshmallow chocolate. 7/10

Banana Cream Cookie: Aw, I saved this for last because I thought it'd be my favorite, but it wasn't as good as I expected. It didn't really have that strong of a banana flavor, compared to the coffee and root beer ones! Basically I got generic vanilla fudge vibes, with a tiny bit of artificial banana flavor. The oreo cookie bottom is also kind of flavorless -- I wish it were graham cracker instead. 6/10

Coconut Truffle: That's right fam, I'm back on my fudge bullshit! This was a pretty impressive coconut flavor, considering it's artificial. I wish it had actual coconut in, but I guess they're trying to appeal to a broad allergy group, so I gotta respect it. And I don't think I'd pin it as fake if I didn't know! A creamy coconut-choco vibe; truffle is pretty accurate. 8/10

Chocolate Raspberry: This is good, but I think I'd rather have just plain chocolate fudge. It's very dense, with a light raspberry (or generic berry) flavor. 7/10

Orange Creamsicle: This tastes just like orange cream savers, which of course I like (I miss those!) but isn't really what I think of what I think of fudge (choco). Very sweet, but good. 7/10

Chocolate Cherry: This has a kind of gummy texture (maybe just because I left it out the longest, though?). It tastes like a cherry flavored Hershey kiss. It's good, but not life changing. Better than the raspberry one, but I do think I still prefer plain choco flavor. 7/10

Triple Chocolate: Alas, Trio Fudge is no more! They had a big going out of business sale and this was the only flavor left, so I bought it. I'll miss these guys. The triple choco was pretty good -- chocolatey, two different layers that were quite similar but still subtly different, with a few choco chips on top. If you like chocolate fudge, look no further! Except you'll have to because you can't buy this. Woe. 7/10

Overall
Cost: 5/10
Taste: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment