Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dunkin' (Donuts)


What!? A food allergy person eating dunkin donuts?! I know, I was surprised too, but my allergic friend Rachel told me that they're actually fairly nut-free. I gasped and then checked their nice website, and it's true! So I'm going to be trying a lot of donuts over the coming weeks, I fear...

Boston Kreme Donut: This is a custardy cream filled donut with chocolate frosting. it's really good, but I would prefer a white cream inside. Still good though, especially the non-cream parts. 7.5/10

Glazed Donut: Classic, right? It was actually a little dry, but overall pretty good. I liked it. Yum. 6/10

Blueberry Cake Donut: This is like a bagel or blueberry muffin that somebody glazed accidentally! It's really moist, but not what I want to eat when I want a donut. 6/10

Lucky Mint Donut: Sooo this has like 1000% fats in it and I just want to say I ate all these different donuts FOR SCIENCE, okay? Anyway, this is a choco donut with choco frosting and soft little peppermint pieces on top. I don't really like choco flavor cake stuff, but if I did I would like this. The mint part is really good anyway. 7/10

Vanilla Kreme Filled Donut: Aha! Regular Kreme. That's what I want in a Kreme. However the outside was crusty and tasted kind of like stale coffee....I hope I just got a bad one because the kreme is really nice. Why Kreme? This isn't Krispy Kreme. Oh well. 7/10

Vanilla Frosted with Rainbow Sprinkles: I didn't like this one too much; it was kind of dry or stale and the frosting wasn't great. I suspect it was expired! ;) Also I like filled or glazed donuts much better so this was just a bad pick by me. 5.5/10

Strawberry frosted with Sprinkles: Pretty good! The frosting actually tastes like strawberry (flavoring)! 7/10

Chocolate Frosted with Sprinkles: Meh. Better than vanilla, but nothing remarkable. 6/10

Oreo Crunch Donut: Ooh, it's on special. Tastes ok, but a bit messy and could use some filling or something. 6/10

Jelly donut: The donut part is good, covered in sugar; but the inside is meh. 6/10

French Cruller: Better than I thought! Kind of like glazed but a different texture; a bit like a funnel cake.  I liked it. 7/10

Cinnamon Cake Donut: Nooooooo. Tastes OK, if you like a thick, dry cake. 4/10

Iced Coffee: Pretty good. Pumpkin and caramel flavor, also good. Vanilla flavor is a little too cloying, I don't recommend that. (Original is best though).

Hot coffee: See above. Smaller but still good. I've been getting these (with cream or black) since they added the peel&win promotion, and I keep winning wake-up wraps, but anyway, hot coffee isn't as tasty as iced coffee and it makes me kind of sleepy, but it's a comforting warm drink on a cold day. like a cozy hot chocolate, but with the bonus of making me feel like an office drone (one of my favorite private fantasies). 8/10

Frozen Coffee: Good, but bad for you! A decadent treat. 8/10

Egg and cheese wake-up wrap: Super cheap, but terrible. The egg is the worst egg I ever tasted. 2/10

Hot Latte: nice, feels luxe, maybe bad if you're lactose intolerant, but i enjoyed it all the way :) plus no sugar! yay! 8/10

Turkey Sausage Wake-up wrap: a marked improvement over the no-meat option, but you can still kind of taste the floral notes. It's more filling though and the sausage is good. 4/10

Egg and cheese (on english muffin): OK, definitely better egg than the wrap, but still has a weird "DD" taste which is kind of floral and definitely no bueno. at least it has fiber? 4/10

Pumpkin Munchkin: This was great! Apparently I'm not allergic to munchkins, praise the lord. It tasted like a sweet pumpkin spice cake. 7/10

Glazed Chocolate Munchkin: Like an Entenmann's chocolate donut, so tasty but a little too rich for my blood. At least it's tiny! 5/10

Glazed Munchkin: I'm not sure how this is different from a "Glazed Cake Munchkin", but it's amazing. Warning: 10 of them is like 700 calories. I know because I ate 10 of them. 8/10

Bacon Egg and Cheese (on English Muffin): So there's a deal for Bacon Egg Cheese on a croissant, which sounds good, but apparently croissants may contain nuts (like for real and not just their blanket warning). So I got english muffin. I couldn't really taste the bacon, but this is healthier and I didn't get the weird floral taste. Maybe I was hungry or maybe I'm getting used to it? 6/10

Ham Egg and Cheese (on English Muffin): This ham is like the McDonalds "ham", but worse! It's super weird and thick and salty. The egg this time was noticeably really egg-producty, watery, flaky, etc, which is also bad (although at least I didn't get that weird floral taste). Back to the drawing board (or to bagels). 4/10

Chocolate Frosted Donut: Was disappointed that this didn't have sprinkles, but actually it was pretty good. The frosting is just the right thickness and really tastes chocolatey. 6/10

Glazed Chocolate Cake Donut: Just like the munchkin, this is not great for me. Makes sense as I don't like cake donuts or chocolate cake very much. A strong Entenmann's vibe for sure. 5/10

Old Fashioned Cake Donut: Ugh, just so dry and boring. The worst choice that won't kill you. 4/10

Chocolate Frosted Donut: Surprised me with how good it was. Mine was fresh, moist, with just enough icing that had a real chocolate taste. Great work 7/10.

Iced Tea: Once I was sick so I got this instead of coffee. It comes with lemon and sugar if you want. When I was sick it was pretty great, though I don't want it any other time. But it's refreshing and good. 6/10

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Flavor Swirl: Only tried this in the iced coffee, but to be honest, it tastes exactly like the pumpkin spice flavor. Which I guess makes sense, as this tastes mainly like cinnamon and milk. It's OK, but by December I'm kind of over it. 6/10

Peppermint Mocha Flavor Swirl: This is a classic for a reason! It might be too sweet for iced coffee and too oniony in hot coffee (or is that the coffee??) but in a latte it's perfect. Basically a cheap version of starbucks. A lovely chocolate mint vibe if you like chocolate and mint at all. 9/10

Bacon Egg and Cheese Wake-up wrap   You can't really taste the bacon in this, but they use American yellow cheese so it kind of tasted like a small grilled cheese in a tortilla, which isn't the worst thing. Plus only 200 calories! 5/10

Veggie Egg White Wake-up wrap:   This was way better than I thought; the egg white has little bits of mushroom/pepper/??? in it, and it's definitely better than the egg yellow. Then there's some shredded cheese, which is very nice! 6/10

Ham Egg and Cheese Wake-up wrap:   This is just fine; it's really similar to the bacon one but just with a stronger deli ham vibe, which is good if you really want some low quality protein I guess. It's more filling than some of the other wraps, though. 5/10

Sweet Black Pepper Bacon Egg, and Cheese (on English Muffin): This is more expensive than regular bacon, so you'd assume it's better. It does taste more premium -- it really is sweet, which is a little weird, like a holiday ham, and there's definitely black pepper on it too. It was more chewy than the regular bacon. The sandwich overall was kind of bland and watery though, I think I like regular bacon actually better! 5/10

Vanilla Truffle Donut: This is a heart-shaped donut with nice chocolate curls on top and what seems to just be vanilla cream filling. And vanilla icing. It's like 450cals, but it is good, also. 8/10

Frosted Vanilla Kreme Donut: This is Boston Creme with vanilla cream in it! Chocolate frosting and vanilla cream. It's every girl's dream. 8/10

Cupid's Choice Donut: Aw yeah, a Valentine's donut with no nut. It's a boston creme but with strawberry frosting and a TON of pink and white sprinkles. Maybe too many sprinkles, but it was good and moist and seasonal. 7/10

Cinnamon Raisin Bagel: I got this for National Bagel Day, since the app doesn't have many bagel flavor options. They also only had butter and plain cream cheese, so I got it with butter. At first bite, it was really disappointing -- chewy, wet with butter, and really flavorless. But when it got a little colder, for some reason I got more into it, and enjoyed the whole experience. Very mild cinnamon/raisin flavor though, and I think I'd get it extra toasted in the future. Maybe no butter, I'm not sure how the butter was. Needs more testing! 6/10

Thin Mints Flavor Swirl: This is really really similar to peppermint mocha. It's still good, but nothing super new or special. Also a little bit too sweet for me. 7/10

Coconut Caramel Flavor Swirl: Am not a fan of this. It does have caramel and coconut notes but they are really artificial and gross to me, just like the regular caramel/vanilla swirls which I also dislike. Aftertaste is just like a Samoa though. But not for me. If you like caramel swirl, maybe you'd like this. 4/10

Apple Fritter: Noooo. OK, So I've had these before and it was this large fried dough ball, glazed, with chunks of cinnamon/apple throughout. It was really good. But today I received a glazed plain pastry with apple "jelly filling" inside, which was fine but way less amazing. Apparently Google tells me some places mix the filling with the dough and fry it (Good) and some just insert the filling into dough (Bad). Not sure if anyone still does it the Good way, but for now this is a solid 6/10.

Blueberry Muffin: Very large, which is nice. A standard muffin, not as good as donuts even though it's the same calorie count (or more) but makes you feel healthier somehow. Very crumbly, so eat over a plate or something. Not a very strong blueberry flavor, mostly sweet bread. 6/10

Everything Bagel (w/ garden veggie cream cheese): I was a little nervous about this, because I think sesame seeds and poppy seeds are fine for me, but I wasn't SURE. Anyway I picked most of them off but I was fine. I really prefer onion or whole wheat bagel, but the app doesn't have those, so I got this. It was OK! I really like the veggie cream cheese, anyway. 6/10

Chipotle Brown Sugar Bacon Egg, and Cheese (on English Muffin): Turns out I really enjoyed this! I think it is now my favorite DD breakfast sandwich yet. The bacon was very sweet and a tiny bit spicy -- really juicy, moist, meaty, delicious! Maybe just my luck but the egg tasted fresh and 'real'er than normal too. 8/10

Coffee Roll: Yay, new bakery! This is big, bigger than a donut, and glazed with a little cinnamony flavor. It basically tastes like a cinnamon roll. Mine was dried out, but I did get it in the afternoon, so I can imagine that moist/fresh this would be really good. The size is nice and the taste is nice and it's only 1.50, so if you feel that a donut just isn't enough, go for this bad boy! 7/10

Sour Cream Donut: This is the closest to an Entenman's regular glazed donut. It's sweet and feels really heavy and dense, in a not great way. Heavy glaze and a different dough base than the tastier, lighter glazed donut. If you hate the rest of DD donuts and only like boxed donuts, try this! 5/10

Plain Bagel (w/ strawberry cream cheese): Plain bagels are super boring, but I don't think cinnamon raisin or everything would have gone with strawberry cream cheese, which I wanted to try, so here we are. Luckily the strawberry cream cheeser was pretty good, so this was a sweet (but not too sweet), comforting carby time. They also cooked the bagel just right though, which is rare. Bagel is boring and plain, the strawberry had a few small chunks of berry and I think it's basically just Philadelphia strawberry cream cheese (which I do like). A nice treat. 6/10

Cold Brew: This month DD is hyping the cold brew, maybe because it costs a dollar more than the iced coffee. I don't think it's worth an extra dollar but since I like coffee I like this. It's really really similar to iced coffee, except perhaps a bit sweeter/smoother/less bitter. I think I would prefer this with no sugar (I usually get sugar in iced coffee). It was OK. 6/10

Coffee Cake Muffin: This was a tasty breakfast! Just a nice moist sweet cinnamony coffee cake crumble. Plenty of calories to get your day started, too! The muffins are always a little hard to eat the bottom of (I recommend a spoon and a napkin), but tasty. 7/10

Cosmic Pineapple Coolatta: Haha. I think this is my first coolatta, so I don't have much of a metric here, but this was really really sweet. Not that icy, either, just really syrupy. It's also awkward to order ("Now, when you say 'cosmic'...") but it does look really fun and space-y. I didn't get much of a pineapple flavor (or blue raspberry), just generic sweet and candy-like flavor. But I did drink it all. It also doubled as lunch, so I guess it was filling! 5/10

Royal Love Donut: It's for the royal wedding! Who cares about that, I want donuts. This is jelly with chocolate frosting (and strawberry stripe), which is a bad combo. The jelly is too sweet. I don't love it, but I like the heart shape. Weird texture. 6/10

Cookie Dough Flavor Swirl: They don't say this is chocolate chip cookie dough, but it totally is! I got this in iced coffee, and it tasted like cookie crisp cereal. Not amazing, but definite chocolate chip vibe. I drank it all but I'm not totally sure how I feel about it, or if it'd be better in a latte. I might try it out one more time to see. 6/10

Powdered Donut: This was always sold out! Anyway, I liked it. Tastes good, better than Entenmann's donuts for sure. Messy though. 7/10

Vanilla Cake Batter Donut: I enjoyed it, really creamy and tasted just like a grocery store cake, which is just the right amount of cake when it's the size of a donut. Filling was subtle, too, it all blended together well. Yum-o. 7/10

Chocolate Cake Batter Donut: Why bother? Not as good as vanilla. I don't like chocolate flavored things much though. The inside filling was less thick and more melty, I guess it was like chocolate pudding frosting but overall too sweet for my blood. 5/10

Brown Sugar Syrup Cold Brew: They advertised this, so I tried it! I prefer my usual iced coffee though. This is supposed to be more smooth, so maybe it won't give me heartburn, but it has a strong "caramel" note flavor. Like when you first drink coffee, this tastes like that. So strong! It tastes more like some coffee from a local place or even Starbucks than like a Dunkies. I think that's mostly due to the cold brew and not the brown sugar though, but they feed off eachother. IDK what I'm saying here. This tastes like a plain cold brew from anywhere else. OK. 5/10

S'mores Donut: Big yom. It's not quite cookie-doughnut good, but this was quite tasty. It was a lot like a Boston Cream, except the cream isn't custard, it's "marshmallow" flavored white cream, which is very similar to just a regular cream filling, which I like. The marshmallow flavor is pretty subtle, but all the top crunchy pieces were pleasant (though I didn't get many). Overall it doesn't taste THAT much like a S'more, but it's very moist and sweet, so I'm a fan. 8/10.  update: On second eat it was almost too sweet and the crunchy bits weren't crunchy, love the choco and smellow topping pieces though. 7/10

Ham and Cheese Rollups: This is a member of the "2$ Dunkin Run Menu", which has tiny snacks for 2$. At first I thought they all seemed like such a bad deal, better to just get a donut/bagel, but actually this is basically like 2 Ham Wake Up Wraps for 2$, just with no egg, which seems like a decent deal after all. These were rolled into tubes instead of like little quesadillas, but the taste is basically the same as an eggless wakeup wrap. I think they might put a little extra cheese, which is good - it kind of tasted like Hardees (or Arbys?) hot ham and cheese sandwich, which isn't amazing but is probably better than the Dunkin food average, let's be real. It was also really hot and a lil crispy, which I liked. Overall a bit better than I expected! Would repeat if not in a donut or bagel mood! 7/10

Pretzel Bites: Another 2$ Dunkin Run item, these were also decent and more filling than I expected. You get 5 little nugs, which are like dense bits of SuperPretzel (or insert soft pretzel brand here). Good amount of salt and pleasant dough flavor. Sadly mine were quite chewy, but the guy who made them was new, so it might just be a fluke. They come with Heinz Spicy Brown mustard, which I love, although it washes out the flavor of the pretzel, so I might just save the mustard for the Ham and Cheese Rollups next time! :D 6/10

Iced Macchiato (Cookie Dough): Can't believe I never tried a Macc, so I went for it. At first I thought "this is amazingly good", which made me skeptical because I got it with skim milk and one less flavor swirl. So I'm wondering, did the guy fuck up? (He was new?) It was so sweet and creamy and milky and nice. Now that its all mixed together, though, it's less good. More of a motor oil taste (I guess this is espresso) and way less sugary creaminess. So drink it fast, or something! I'm not sure what I think, It was mostly good but needs more testing. 6/10?

Waffle Breaded Chicken Tenders: These were better than I thought they'd be, they tasted like the chicken from a Kid's Cuisine frozen meal which I loved as a kid. No itchiness from allergy issues either. They were warm and I did get a little note of sweetness from the breading which was weird but it was subtle at least. The only negative was there was a dark dark brown/black spot in one of my tenders, and IDK what it was. About the size of a marble. I spit it out but ate the rest. Maybe just weird meat bits?? If we assume that will never occur again, then - 7/10

Gluten Free Fudge Brownie: Honestly this was really good, I wouldn't guess it was gluten free if I didn't know it was. I like that they keep it packaged, that's good allergy awareness. Dunkin is great. This is chocolatey and moist and dense, like a good brownie. It's a step away from PERFECT, but it's quite good, and nice to have a non-donut/fritter/muffin/drink dessert option too! 8/10

Shark Bite Donut: This is purportedly just a vanilla frosted donut with shark sprinkles on it, but I really enjoyed it! Maybe I just got it fresh. The sprinkles were cute and big, overall it was moist and sweet and tasted like a canonical donut. 7/10

Double Chocolate Donut: This is just the chocolate cake donut with chocolate icing (and sometimes sprinkles). But in a bag, the icing wiped right off, so in essence it is a plain chocolate cake donut, which, as stated, is not my favorite - very dense! 5/10

Pumpkin Donut: I like the color of this, it's so uniquely orange-red. Anyway, this is good, even though it's a cake donut. It tastes like very mild pumpkin pie filling. I wish there were more spice to it and less dough flavor, but it's pleasant. 6/10

Pumpkin Muffin: Wow, this actually shocked me with how good it was. This was really good! I guess I was surprised because the texture and taste were so different from their other muffins. This was super moist inside (and outside), and the topping was nice and sweet but not overly sweet. It all tasted like nice pumpkin-spice bread or pastry, but really dense and moist and just the right about of spices and sweets. It's 550 calories otherwise I'd get it all the time. Amazing muffin!! 9/10

Spider Donut: This is cute, it looks like a spider! Ha ha! Anyway, it's basically a regular frosted donut - which is good, and the orange frosting makes it more fun somehow. The chocolate munchkin is fine, just the right amount of one of those. Overall a cute donut and not too overly sweet, so I like it. 7/10

Iced Cappuccino: This is new at Dunkies! Unfortunately it's literally the first day on offer, so when I ordered it it took a long time and I think they were annoyed/unprepared, and then I felt guilty. (And IDK if they made it right either). But it was good. It's basically a latte except the ice is crushed into little pieces, which makes it more watery and less milky. But still basically a latte. Therefore it tasted good and also heavy (but for 120 cals with whole milk, not really that bad). 6/10

Iced Latte: I can't believe I didn't yet review this! Lattes are great, because they're filling and creamy and feel very decadent, even without whole milk and sugar and whipped cream. I usually get mine with just skim milk, sometimes a flavor swirl or raspberry. This is a classic. It's smoother than a regular coffee, with less acid. More stomach ache though, but I'm trying to acclimate! They remind me of cruisin', too. Hehe. 7/10

Holiday Spice Bacon: I got this on a bagel sandwich, 'cause it's the most filling. Holiday spice bacon is an acceptable bacon flavor to me, but I still like the chipotle one best. It's definitely a step above regular bacon, because it's way moister and I think you get more. It is sweet, which is a bit weird, but it's tolerable. 7/10

White Chocolate Flavor Swirl: Oh no. I like white chocolate but I didn't like this. It was just way too thick and warm and clumpy and sweet and artificial. Full disclosure, I got it in an iced latte (with skim milk) so it's already a lot, but I put it in the fridge for later and when I had it later it was a little better, more mixed in I guess. Still a challenge to enjoy the swirl though. 4/10

Cinnamon Sticky Bun Flavor Swirl: I'm a fool, because I got this in a latte made by the same guy as before, and it was also way too thick and clumpy and sweet. I really should get just 1 pump but I wanted to experience it as Dunkie intended. Dunkie might be dumb, though. The flavor is fine, it is cinnamony and all, but way too strong and honestly not great. A little artificial, and I don't LOVE cinnamon that much I guess. Raspberry + sugar 4 life. 4/10

Cinnamon Cream Cheese: I got this on a cinnamon raisin bagel, because duh, but it actually didn't go very well with it. Two different cinnamons, like 2 different shades of brown clothes, you know? Maybe a plain bagel would have been better? I wish they had more bagel options. Anyway, the cream cheese itself was quite decadent! It was lovely and creamy like a fine dessert. The lady really took her time with it too. It looks like peanut butter, which is terrifying, but it comes in its own little package (I peeped behind the scenes). Really tasty, just not sure where it should go. 7/10

Hershey Kisses Donut: This really did have a good number of mini Hershey kisses on it! They taste just like the full size, but were firmly attached (thank goodness) to a plain vanilla frosted donut. All the components are good, but idk that they necessarily enhance each other -- it's a LOT overall, almost 500cals and very sweet. Eating the kisses as a snack later is probably a better choice, but I do like that it's a fun candy donut that's nut free. 6/10

[NEW as of 11/30/18] Veggie Egg White: They updated the veggie egg white to make it kosher! It's also super different now. It has spinach in it, which makes it much much greener looking. A little disconcerting at first glance. It certainly has less cheese/potato content, and I think they got rid of the mushrooms but left the green and red pepper (?). It has a more mild flavor than it used to, but it was fine overall, and perhaps a bit healthier too! 7/10

Iced Americano: This turned out to be literally just be espresso, ice, and water. I mean, I know that's what an Americano is, but somehow I was still skeptical Dunkin would do it. It's a weird drink. Very strong. They didn't ask if I wanted anything added, so there it was. I could only handle half of it, and that's after adding sugar and milk at home! It may have given me heartburn, so I probably won't revisit for a while, except it IS cheaper and less calories than a latte, so it might be a good conduit for trying a new flavor swirl later (I think they go better with espresso). 5/10

Dear Santa Donut: This was cute and tasty! Just a plain frosted donut with a tiny bit of choco flavor from the icing decoration, and then a powdered munchkin in the middle, which I love. My munchky was pretty stale, but hopefully that was just bad luck and not a systematic issue. 7/10

Hot cappuccino: Much like a hot latte, this felt really premium, posh, fancy, luxe, etc. Like a drink I'd get at a nice sit-in café. Warm and smooth, very similar to a latte in all ways to be honest. 7/10

Hot americano: Got this with a swirl yet I still couldn't finish it. The flavor was just a lot. I think americanos might be bad. 4/10

Blueberry flavor shot: I got this instead of raspberry in my latte, and I deeply regretted it. It tastes much more "artificial", a little like the blueberry cake donut taste/smell but worse, even with milk and sugar to cover it up. Really strong and chemical tasting. Avoid! 4/10

Shortbread Flavor Swirl: Very gross in a plain coffee, like the caramel it has a bad artificial/chemical flavor vibe I can't shake off. Didn't really taste like a cookie either, just more like caramel. 4/10

Caramel Chocoholic Donut: Maybe I was just craving sweets, but I liked this a little more than the plain glazed chocolate cake donut. This one isn't glazed but has (supposedly) caramel icing and glaze with chocolate curls. The curls are cute and good, I didn't receive any caramel swirl on top, and the caramel icing was virtually indistinguishable from the chocolate icing. In fact, it might have been. Anyway, this was sweet but not insanely sweet, which is good. 6/10

Irish Creme Flavor Swirl: This really does taste like alc! Which is kind of weird because I think liquor doesn't usually taste that great. This has a sharp flavor, but it's also sweet. It's not really minty, but it is almost a little coconut-y to me in a tangy way. I just got 1 pump in a medium iced coffee which was more than strong/sweet enough. More than that would probably be gross. It was OK, but I think I still prefer regular coffee. I'm a simple girl. 6/10

Vanilla Headlight Donut: I got this randomly when they were out of the donut I ordered, and luckily it's also nut-free. This is a vanilla cream donut with chocolate frosting instead of powdered sugar. So it's even sweeter, but it's definitely tasty. I like all the components. Maybe best to eat half at a time! 8/10

Energy Cold Brew: Yikes. So this mostly tastes like regular cold brew, I think. Maybe a bit more bitter, since it was certainly bitter, even with skim milk. It was OK, but I didn't feel that energized, plus it cost 3.70. Rather have a coffee or latte. 4/10

Hash Browns: I thought I would not like these because I don't like McDos and DD food is usually worse than McDos (sorry Dunkin Gods). But it was much better!! You get 5 (or 6 in my case) little rounds that are heavily seasoned but NOT dripping with oil like McDos. Tastes almost like a good potato chip, but better. A great snack and cheap too! 8/10

Peeps Flavor Swirl: This was better than I expected; I got it in iced coffee (2 pumps) and it legit tastes like the marshmallows from Lucky Charms, plus a little milk flavor. I didn't find it overly sweet; just the right amount. Solid swirl. 7/10

Chocolate Cherry Cold Brew: This really did taste like chocolate and cherry. Very accurate. It was sweet but not too sweet, yet I still didn't love it. Maybe it just wasn't watery or icy enough for me. Too intense. I do think the flavor is dead on, but I just don't love cold brew that much compared to regular Dunkin coffee. Maybe with milk or cream I would like it better. 5/10

Caramel Craze Signature (Iced) Latte: This is so good, but it's really bad for you...Even with skim milk. Oh well. You get whipped cream, caramel swirl, cinnamon on top, and it's in a cute skinny latte cup. I'm very into it. 8/10

Sriracha Bacon Sandwich: This is OK, but not as good as the chipotle bacon, which is sweeter. This one actually has a little heat/spice to it, which is novel, as well as the similar bacon-y seasonings - just no sugar. I guess I like the sweet flavors better, although this is probably better than no flavor at all. 6/10

Blueberry Crisp Signature (Iced) Latte: Considering the whipped cream and caramel swirls/cinnamon topping, this is obviously tasty. However it also has blueberry flavor shots, which I don't really like that much (strong artificial taste). So I prefer the Caramel only version of this bad boy. 6/10

Peeps Donut: This was fine, very cute, but it was just a regular vanilla frosted donut with a small yellow peep on it (and the peep fell off). Is the peep worth an extra 50 cents? Maybe in a peepmergency. I wanted the special easter egg sprinkles, but that wasn't a thing in Newark I guess. Anyway, the donut was fresh and I do like peeps so I enjoyed it, but I should really just buy some peeps and eat those. 7/10

Cocoa Mocha Signature (Iced) Latte: This was fine, although they didn't include the hot chocolate powder on it. It was very chocolate milk-y. Sweet with just some mild coffee notes. Now that I've tried them all I think I like the Caramel Signature Latte best, but really I just like plain the best of all. 6/10

Iced Tea Lemonade: Three in a row for excluding stuff, mine didn't come with any lemon. Maybe they were out. Anyway, people online said that this was way too tart, and I thought they were whiny dumbos but it actually is really super tart. It has more lemonade flavor than tea flavor for sure. It is sweet, too, but more tart than sweet. Once I hit the bottom of the cup (yes, I drank it all, eventually), the watery ice really elevated the taste, so maybe it's best if you wait a while for the ice to melt, or add a bunch of water or something. 6/10

Banana Split Flavor Swirl: Duude, this was surprisingly good! It tastes like a banana split, truly. I got it in a latte with 2 pumps. Tastes like banana, a little creamy, a little chocolate fudge flavor, and maybe some strawberry if you squint. Awesome stuff. 8/10

Cosmic Grape Coolatta: Haha. Oh no, I didn't learn my lesson from last year and still tried this. But it was not great. Very very very sweet, and the grape flavor was like, medicinal almost, and the ice wasn't icy enough, too syrupy. I still somehow drank it all, and it is fun to get a colorful drink and try something new, but it was honestly not great. I might try vanilla or maybe cherry if they have it, but that's it! 5/10

Egg White Dunkin' Bowl: Wow, a fun new food item! OK, so I actually ordered the sausage bowl and they gave me this healthier one instead, which felt like a diss. But whatever. Taste-wise it is good, and surprisingly filling for the low calorie count. You get a lot of egg white (eh), spinach (good), and firm potatoes (good), and you can't really taste the cheese unfortunately. The downside is this is super expensive at 6$, since you can get a better version called "just crack an egg" at the grocery for 3$. However, ignoring price it's a sweet option. 6/10

Sausage Dunkin' Bowl: Boo, I thought I should have liked this but it had a super weird flavor to it, like chemicals or plastic or soap or something that wasn't right. It was in the egg and the meat too. I hate that this is a thing that happens with Dunkin sometimes, across multiple locations. This had less calories than I'd thought and it was pretty filling. I expect/hope I just got a rogue funky one but it was so bad that I'm not going to try again. 3/10

Chorizo Burrito Bowl: The evolution of the Dunkin' Bowl! This one was shockingly decent, and filling too! It's awfully pricey though. This was mostly egg and chorizo, which wasn't great but not terrible either. There wasn't very much (brown?) quinoa or rice. The sauce was spicy and tomato-y and pretty good. There were just a few peppers. The bowl was fairly full though, and it was filling and low calorie/high protein. 6/10

Heath Flavor Swirl: I had this in a latte, and it had a pretty strong "flavor" flavor if you know what I mean. Kind of buttery and nutty, like a butter pecan, and definitely a strong flavor that overpowers the coffee. It was not overwhelmingly sweet which is good, but I don't love the flavor. The aftertaste is decent though, does taste a bit like the inside of a heath bar. I'd still rather have plain though. 5/10.

Cookies 'N Creme Flavor Swirl: This was better than the Heath one for sure, I had it in an iced latte also (2 pumps), it did have a sweet flavor but not really cookies and cream. It kind of tastes like their white chocolate flavor swirl, which ironically is not how cookies and cream candy bars taste. Also this was just sugar and milk, no cookie vibe. It was unobjectionable but I wouldn't seek it out. 6/10

Sweet BBQ Bacon: Oh no, it's not good, it's smoky and not sweet at all. A bit BBQ-y I guess. It also was overcooked, and even worse when I re-looked up the nutrition for this I see bagels now have a walnut allergy warning? Dunkin', you betrayer. :( 4/10

Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature (Iced) Latte: I don't like the cinnamon flavor shot that's a part of this! It tastes like I'm eating soap, or a candle. The sugar/whip on top is great and the whole thing feels very "fun", but the taste is not great. No thank you. 5/10

Merry Mocha Mint Signature (Iced) Latte: I like peppermint mocha, so this was good, obviously, although not very different from a plain peppermint mocha latte. But it was still refreshing and minty and wintery. Honestly a little bit "chalky" in texture, which was weird, but I like the skinny whipped cream latte container you get with these! The hot chocolate powder is a fun addition. Only downside is that I'm embarrassed to order this. :) 8/10

Holiday Eggnog Signature (Iced) Latte: I never had eggnog before, so I really wasn't sure what to expect with this. But it was so good! The actual nog (used in place of milk) didn't have a strong flavor at all, it was almost indistinguishable from milk - and I guess there was also caramel flavor in this? But I like the skinny latte cup/cinnamon sugar/whipped cream so much already, and then the nog tasted a lot like whipped cream or at least cream to me. Really sweet and decadent, but not in a bad/cloying way. Just really nice. Unfortunately another customer mistakenly grabbed mine and put her hands all over the lid, so I drank it open-faced which was dangerous in the car but maybe the danger = high arousal = I enjoyed it more? Anyway, it was good. Yum. 8/10

Toasted Gingerbread Signature (Iced) Latte: It was good! Definitely better than I thought it would be. The gingerbread smores swirl tastes very similar to the peeps swirl - like Lucky charms marshmallows (and milk, because latte). I like the taste, but there isn't much gingerbread note to it. That's probably a good thing since I didn't like the shortbread swirl much. There was maybe a vague chocolate flavor if I thought really hard about it, but the predominant flavor note was 'shmallow. It was sweet, with whip topping and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Maybe a cinnamon flavor shot? I'm not sure. But it was good. 7/10

Gingerbread S'mores Flavor Swirl: This was good but not as good as it was in the signature latte -- maybe the skim milk hurt it, or just the lack of sugary extras? I tasted a little more chocolate this time, and less milky marshmallowness. This was a downgrade! But it was still decent. 6/10.

Pink Velvet Iced Macchiato: I wanted to try the new Red Velvet swirl in a latte with one or two pumps, as I do, but that wasn't an option on the app! And God knows I'm not going to order by using my words like some sort of cavewoman. So I got the closest option, which was a macchiato with skim milk, but no option to reduce the swirl. Readers, it was too much swirl. They also shook it, which ruins the cute pink layering effect you're supposed to get. But the pink color is still fun. It tasted a lot like many of the other swirls at Dunkin - like the peeps but without marshmallow, or the coconut caramel without any coconut. Basically a general sweet/artificial flavor. Similar to the vanilla/caramel ones if I remember correctly, which I may not because I rarely get them because they taste like this! No real distinctive chocolate or cream cheese notes. Not a success IMO (except the color!). 5/10
   
Bacon and Cheese Rollups: I haven't had anything new from Dunkie in a very long time, because of the pandemic (so I hardly ever go, plus am extra scared for allergies, plus they aren't releasing as much new stuff) and also because they've added "may contain nuts" to way more of their food lately, including all the bagels and muffins. Really sucks. Anyway, this is safe and I was with boyf so I tried it out. For 3$, not a great deal, especially given that the ham ones used to be 2$ when they came out, and you can get 2 wake up wraps for 2$ (and that's more calories). But still, 3$ isn't too pricy, and I thought no egg would be less likely to get the weird taste (spoiler: still got weird taste in ham ones though). But when they're on, these are fine. The bacon is just plain which is actually more tasteless than ham, so I don't love it, but it's filling and mostly tastes like a cheese tortilla. 6/10

Charli Cold Brew: I am way too old to know anything about the girl this is named after, but I am committed to trying all the new drinks (I stopped doing the new food out of allergy fears though). This was frankly not bad at all, even though I like coffee more than cold brew typically. It was less sweet than I thought, and definitely still tastes like cold brew, which I think making at home has accustomed me to the taste of a little more. I think I'd still prefer a cofe, but not bad at all. 7/10

Gingerbread Signature (Iced) Latte: Happy holidays! A new year, a new slightly different gingerbread swirl and signature latte. I really struggled to find out what's in this apart from the gingerbread swirl: it says caramel drizzle on top but the ingredients read that there's caramel swirl in it. If there is, that makes sense, because this didn't really taste like what I'd imagine a gingerbread swirl to taste like, and I guessed that there was either cinnamon or caramel flavor mixed in. I should try the solo Gingerbread swirl to really judge it, so stay tuned. Anyway this drink tasted more like cookie/generic sweet dunkin than the previous Gingerbread flavor, which has nice and marshmallowy. Too sweet for my liking, but OK enough. 5/10

Sugarplum Macchiato (Iced): This is some sorta instagram drink, but at least it doesn't have a celebrity's name in it (that I know of). Sadly, you can't order just sugarplum swirl in a normal drink on the app, so I got the full large macchie (with skim milk but 4 swirls) as DunkinGod intended. It was indeed cute and purple, so at least they didn't mix it. At first, I did not like what I had. The swirl tasted a lot like bubblegum flavor medicine to me -- good for medicine, but bad for food. I do get a bit of the "cereal milk" taste others had mentioned, too, but in general I didn't love it. But, after some time/mixing/settling, the espresso dims that and it becomes good. Definitely not my favorite swirl, but very pretty and drinkable if you mix it up. 6/10

Gingerbread Flavor Swirl: OK, so this tasted exactly like it did in the Signature Latte - kind of cinnamony, with a shortbread cookie kind of flavor, and not really any ginger or gingerbread flavor. Not sure what the "vibe" of this swirl is supposed to be. I do not love it. 5/10
 
Toasted Coconut Flavor Swirl: Nice! I got lucky with my order this time, and they actually made it correctly -- a med latte with skim milk and two pumps of swirl. In general this is just a winning combo, so it worked here too, and was pleasant. Sweet milky coconut flavor, not super different from the coconut caramel in my opinion, but I guess less caramelly and more "toasted almond"-y. 6/10
 
Charli Cold Brew with cold foam: Cold foam is so exciting, it's like fancy coffee cool whip. This version I think is just cold brew with caramel swirl, no milk, but it was overall really good -- sweet for sure, but not painfully so. The foam was topped with cinnamon sugar (they actually made it correctly! call the press!) and it was really nice, plus it came in a fun sippy cup. Very cool. Yom 7/10

Chocolate Stout Cold Brew (with cold foam): Heck yeah! The foam is still fun, and the chocolate stout flavor was pretty good - it wasn't as sweet or as artificial as the regular mocha swirl is in coffees. I guess the cold brew dims the sweetness a little? Anyway, I enjoyed this more than I expected. 7/10
 
Cold Brew (with cold foam): Even with plain cold brew, the foam makes it great. The Dunkin' by my house isn't as good as PA-Dunkin' at these, so it was really dark, but still once the foam melts they are better. The Charli and Choco brews are tastier of course (sweeter too), but that's just because I don't looove plain cold brew, I'm an iced coffee girl at heart. 7/10
 
Smoked Vanilla Flavor Swirl (or Syrup?): Hey! I got lucky with my order again, I think -- another med latte with skim milk and two pumps of swirl. This was a very subtle flavor, it honestly just tasted like the milk in a plain latte was slightly sweetened. I do get the "frosted flakes" vibe people mention, in that it tastes a bit like cereal milk - sweet, milk, maybe a note of malt. Maybe the 'smoked' part meshes with the espresso so it comes out very unchanged. I guess I do get a hint of vanilla as well. I like it, but basically as a sub for sugar. Not artificial at all, just milky. 6/10

Pumpkin Spice Signature (Iced) Latte: This is a complex and sugary drink, but it was the only deal (3$ medium) so I got it, plus it's a new version of the pumpkin signature drink. This bad boy has not only pumpkin swirl, but I believe it has a vanilla shot (or syrup??) in it. And topped with whip, cinnamon sugar, and caramel swirl. I don't think the caramel is also mixed in, but I could be wrong. Anyway I got it with skim milk and it looked fancy and tasted very nice, pumpkiny and sweet and creamy. A little too sweet for my taste, but fun to get once. 7/10

Cold Brew (with pumpkin cold foam): Dang, this pumpkin cold foam is Gooood. Better than regular, less melty (or maybe they put more in?) and it tastes like pumpkin whipped cream. I just love desserts yo. 8/10

Brown Sugar Cookie Swirl: Oh, Dunkin. I ordered the new "Winter Blend" iced coffee, which as far as I know is just coffee, and it tasted like shortbread cookies so I am preeeetty sure they loaded it up with this dairy-less swirl by mistake (or to punish me). It was sweet and overwhelming, but it did make my super saturated/unstirred iced coffee drinkable, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise. Basically just sugar syrup with an extra "cookie" note. 6/10
 
Winter Blend Iced Coffee: Aright, I went to the Good Dunkin to get this, and I think they made it correctly, but it really was way darker/more saturated/more bitter than the normal iced coffee, which I definitely did not like. Drinkable but not desirable. 6/10?  

Shamrock (Irish Creme) Iced Macchiato: I might have had this before, back when the Irish Creme swirl wasn't green. I had a free drink coupon, so I wanted to splurge on something expensive, and this fit the bill. I must say, it did look cool with the green (they made it properly for me)! The taste wasn't as good as I remembered the Irish Creme being, but it did still evoke Alcohol and Green and Sweet (but not too crazy sweet), so I did enjoy it. Especially once I mixed it up (but then it looked ugly, alas)! 7/10

Salted Caramel Iced Signature Latte: This was 3$, so I got it. It was very good -- whipped topic, caramel swirl, and a sweet, milky, taste. Not oversweet. Definitely better than regular caramel stuff. Feels too decadent to get on the reg, but I do like the swirl. 8/10

Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew: I actually ordered a latte instead, but they gave me this! It was good and presumably a little lower-cal. The salted caramel cold foam is amazing and tastes like salted caramel in a foam. Really good. The cold brew part tasted just like the latte, not overly sweet but definitely sweet and milky. Didn't get much "salty" from the drink as opposed to the foam, but still pleasant. And I got a good buzz! 7/10

Sunrise Batch Iced Coffee: I shoulda gone to the Good Dunkin to get this, because my usual one always botches iced coffees. As usual for them, this was way too saturated and had almost no ice. Gross. But the actual coffee flavor was indeed different than normal blend version-- it tasted like tropical coconut and weirdly sweet and fruity. If it truly is just plain coffee in here, then this is probably great for dieters who like flavored drinks! But I think they might have f'd it up and put a rando swirl in there or something. Anyway, this is weird. 5/10  

Brown Sugar Cream Cold Brew: I think(?) that this is just cold brew with a brown sugar foam on it instead of the regular foam. Cold brew is fine as ever, and the foam really is different -- it's a dark brown, tastes cinnamon/brown-sugar-y. I didn't love it because I don't usually love those flavors, but it was still a solid sweet drink. I prefer the OG though. 6/10

Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew: I only got this 'cause it's 3$, and I was worried because it apparently has brown sugar syrup in it, but I can hardly tell. I love the pumpkin cold foam and so it mostly tastes like a solid, pumpkiny cold brew. I guess it's probably bad for you with all the sugar, but then again, knowing my Dunkin there is a solid chance they just didn't put the syrup in. :'D Anyway, it's really good! 8/10
 
Holiday Blend Coffee: I don't get much new Dunkin stuff anymore; due to allergy fears I stick with the unflavored basics. But this is just a different blend, and they offered it for free! It's hot only, and I actually liked it quite a bit. It seemed like a mild/less strong version of the regular coffee. Like a super light (watery) roast. But in a good way. Very drinkable. 7/10
 

- - -

Laura says: This is a weird donut/ice cream shoppe? I found that kind of cool, I guess, though Kati can't eat the ice creams. But I do like donuts a lot and they're pretty cheap. Their frosted donut wasn't that great because the bottom of it was kind of dryer than I think most donuts are? It was a donut and this place was a donut shop. No big opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment